Exploring your data
You may also be interested in:
The data exploration tool, sometimes referred to as illumin8, enables you to explore your data, whilst dynamically updating the points on the map, the time trend chart and the statistics. It shows you the results of a multi-dimensional filter that, depending on your filter, can include:
- a geographical bounding box
- a time range
- a time-of-day range
- a selection of values from each of the properties in the dataset
- a selection of geographical regions (choropleths)
- geofences around Points of Interest (POI)
As you refine this filter, the data points shown on the map, the property statistics and the time trend chart all update dynamically, providing you with a complete picture of the results of your filter.
Using the data exploration tool
When you open a dataset or snapshot with the data exploration tool you can find trends and patterns in your data using its visualization tools. Using these tools, you can create a multi-dimensional filter to identify interesting events and correlations in your data.
To build a multi-dimensional filter, you can select:
- a geographical area by zooming in and out of the map. This selects the data points that are included in the query. You can scroll and use your trackpad to move the map. See Geo-based visualizations for more information
- a time range by using the time trend chart below the map to view the data plotted over time for the selected data (including any filters and the selected geographical area). You can scroll and zoom this view. See Time-based visualizations for more information
- the property values and visualization mode for each layer's data properties and their values from the property palette located to the left of the map. See Using property value breakdowns for more information
You can view the multi-dimensional filter to see what the filter parameters are selected using the filter bar, located above the map. It displays the time range, the property filters you have applied and any geofence filters. See Filtering your dataset for more information.
Note the tools, visualizations and default values available in the data exploration tool depend upon the configuration of the dataset ingested using the dataset description. The configuration of your dataset may differ from the examples used in this documentation. Contact your account manager for details on how to enable specific tools and visualizations.
To use the data exploration tool you must have:
- a deployment of the Spatial Big Data Platform and the data exploration tool
- data ingested into your Spatial Big Data Platform
- a Platform account to log into the dashboard
You'll be invited by a Platform administrator to create a user account that will give you access to the data exploration tool. When you log in, this opens the dashboard so you can view:
- Datasets: the GeoSpock datasets containing your ingested data
- Galleries: the galleries containing snaphsots of data; see Accessing your galleries for more information
For the best performance, it is recommend that you use illumin8 with the latest version of Chrome.
Note: illumin8 does not support the Edge browser, Internet Explorer or Firefox.
Whilst there is no minimum specification for the hardware that you should use, illumin8 processes and renders its data visualizations within your browser, so for the best performance you should use a modern computer, with at least a mid-range graphics card.
If you encounter any issues, please contact email@example.com.