Getting started with illumin8
To use illumin8, you must have:
- a deployment of GeoSpock stack and illumin8 in your account on your cloud services platform, such as Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- a dataset ingested into your GeoSpock stack
- an account to log into the deployment dashboard
For the best performance, we recommend using illumin8 with the latest version of Chrome. We do not support the Edge browser. If you encounter any issues, please contact email@example.com.
illumin8 provides you with a set of tools that enable you to analyze your data, whilst dynamically updating the points on the map, the time trend chart and the statistics. It shows you the results of a multi-dimensional filter that, depending on your filter, can include:
- a geographical bounding box
- a time range
- a time-of-day range
- a selection of values from each of the properties in the dataset
- a selection of geographical regions (choropleths)
- geofences around Points of Interest (POI)
As you refine this filter, the data points shown on the map, the property statistics and the time trend chart all update dynamically, providing you with a complete picture of the results of your filter.
The main areas of the illumin8 screen include:
- a filter bar: Located above the map, this displays the time range, the property filters you have applied and any geofence filters. See Filtering your dataset for more information.
- a map: You can zoom in and out of the map, updating the metrics and data properties. You can scroll and use your trackpad to move the map. The selected geographical area defines the data points that are included in the query. See Geo-based visualizations for more information.
- the data properties: The data properties and their values for each of the data layers are displayed to the left of the map. See Using property value breakdowns for more information.
- a time trend chart: at the bottom of the screen, there is a time trend chart that shows you the data plotted over time for the data selected (including any filters and the selected geographical area). You can scroll and zoom this view. The data points shown on the map and the property statistics update dynamically. See Time-based visualizations for more information.
Note the tools, visualizations and default values available in illumin8 depend upon the configuration of the dataset ingested using the dataset description. The configuration of your dataset may differ from the examples used in this documentation. Contact your account manager for details on how to enable specific tools and visualizations.
You'll be invited by a GeoSpock administrator to create a user account that will give you access to illumin8.
When you log in, this opens the dashboard that enables you to view:
- Datasets: the GeoSpock datasets containing your ingested data; see Viewing your datasets for more information
- Galleries: the illumin8 galleries containing snaphsots of data; see Accessing your galleries for more information
For more information about: